Loading…
SEAFWA 2015 has ended
Welcome to the technical sessions schedule for the 2015 SEAFWA Annual Meeting.

NEW THIS YEAR!
The technical schedule is capable of being sorted by date (i.e, Monday, Nov. 2), track (i.e. Wildlife Technical Sessions), or session (i.e. Wildlife Session #1). You can also search for a presentation title (i.e. Changing Landscapes by Coalition), key term (i.e. striped bass), or presenter last name (i.e. Weaver). The sort and search functions can be found on the navigation panel on the right side of this page. If you hover over the "Schedule" button, you’ll also see different schedule view options (i.e. Grid or Simple). Try selecting each of them to see which view you prefer. 

MY SCHEDULE FEATURE: It is not required of you to create a Sched.org account to use this site but if you do so, you’ll be able to use the "My Schedule" feature which allows you to create your own schedule for the conference. Click the "Sign Up" button in the top right corner of this page to create a Sched.org account. 

SCHEDULE UPDATES: The session abstracts and timeslots are subject to change. This site will be updated as changes come in; please check back for updates. 

MAIN SCHEDULE & WEBSITE: Click here to return to the main SEAFWA conference site. 
Back To Schedule
Tuesday, November 3 • 3:40pm - 4:00pm
Catch and Release Impacts Trophy Bass Fishery in Arkansas

Sign up or log in to save this to your schedule, view media, leave feedback and see who's attending!

Jeremy T. Risley, Arkansas Game and Fish Commission; Ronald L. Johnson, Arkansas State University

Lake Monticello in southeastern Arkansas is a renowned largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) lake where anglers fish to catch a trophy bass. The size structure and potential harvest of the bass population was evaluated in the context of the existing 406 – 533 mm total slot limit (TSL) in addition to other potential slot limits. The largemouth bass population was sampled using nighttime boat-mounted electrofishing conducted during 2006 - 2007. Memorable-sized bass represented 17% of the total sample by length. With the existing TSL, 35% of the fish sampled were under, 52% were within, and 13% were above the slot. More importantly, males were concentrated within the slot, and did not grow out of the existing slot. A proposed TSL of a 483 - 559 mm increased the number of fish potentially harvested below the slot and fewer fish dying, particularly males, within the slot. Voluntary release rates were 88% and 86% for bass and non-bass anglers, respectively. A mail-in survey of 249 anglers revealed most (77%) strongly agreed or agreed with “I practice catch and release fishing for largemouth bass”, and 70% rarely or never harvested LMB. Efforts need to be made to encourage harvest of fish below the slot for improving the trophy bass fishery at Lake Monticello. With the obvious impact on the local economy, every effort needs to be taken to ensure that Lake Monticello remains a trophy bass fishery in the future as the majority of the anglers fishing indicated they were fishing for trophy largemouth bass.

Tuesday November 3, 2015 3:40pm - 4:00pm EST
Victoria

Attendees (0)